Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have! Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have! Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Where did Christmas go?

Are you as puzzled as I am? Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday that I was decorating for Christmas and now it's time to put the decorations away. Every year seems to go faster than the last.

Christmas Eve is Blake's birthday. He usually unwraps his birthday presents as soon as he gets out of bed in the morning. This year was a little different. Lauryn kept a countdown until midnight and he opened all his Christmas gifts. (Except for the ones that he got early because he carried them in from my car. Blake is always very helpful. As soon as I pulled into the garage the week before after a Costco trip he was there waiting to help unload the car. He decided to go ahead and hook up his present early to "save me time wrapping". Isn't that thoughtful of him? ;) Blake is worse than a kid when it comes to Christmas and birthdays. He still shakes and "tries" to peek. Christmas Eve night is spent with Blake's family and then it's home for us to open presents.

We always spend Christmas morning at my grandma's. We open our stockings and the gifts from gram and aunt Vick. We then sit down for a yummy breakfast. We look forward to it every year because that is the only time we get the delicious homemade breakfast sausage made by my great uncle. It is a recipe that has been in the family for generations. We decided to have my grandma call him for the recipe so we can keep it going. We usually stuff ourselves with ham, sausage, potatoes, eggs, and a variety of homemade sweet rolls.

After breakfast we all go up to my mom and dad's for gift opening. I was having so much fun just enjoying the moment that I forgot to take many pictures (even though I did get a new camera and my mom already had the battery charged for me). Here are a few times I actually remembered.

Jenna and Lauryn each got a lap desk. They love them. The desks are pretty cool because the lid flips up and there is storage inside. They will be great for traveling or homework on the couch. (There probably won't be much of this though because Santa brought them each a new desk and chair.)





Rich, Steve, and I each got a framed picture of my dad and his family when he was just a little guy. He is the one in the front and center. Rich is trying to figure out who everyone is. My dad is one of eighteen children so get-togethers are always big.

Rich has a signature wrap. For as far back as I can remember, he has wrapped in aluminum foil and writes the recipients name with a Sharpie. He never has to write who it's from because we all know. Mom picked this up and said "Hmmm...I wonder what this is?" One of her gifts from him was the "green pan" that she's wanted. We all love his way of wrapping and wouldn't know what to do if he ever pulled out a roll of wrapping paper.
We munched and played games until it was time for dinner.

Our Christmas dinner was out of this world!! Rich cooked the prime rib on his Traeger and it was absolutely incredible!! We had baked potatoes, corn, German sweet & sour green beans, rolls, deviled eggs,...and much more to go along with it. Needless to say...we were stuffed after dinner.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Ok, I just showed Jeff the prime rib and we are totally drooling. Too bad this isn't scratch and sniff blogging :) We also got a kick out of his wrapping!! I didn't realize your dad was one of 18, I knew it was a few but didn't realize that many-WOW!!! LOVE the picture and all the little boys and their cowboy attire. Who is the little one in front with the dark hair and big eyes? Looks like a wonderful Christmas!

Ali said...

I'm so glad you had a great Christmas! But I understand how it seems to just fly by...then it's over :( I have had that same feeling, but I'm trying not to dwell on it. Just gonna savor these next few days of having Hunter home from school and not having Kora here :)

Kari said...

Loved the tin foil. What a great idea, and if you do it right you don't even have to use tape!!!

Amy said...

I so LOVED the pic of your dad's family, what a wonderful gift to treasure for a lifetime!!!!