Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have! Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have! Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School Daze


Whew...what a day! I always forget how absolutely exhausting the 1st day of school is. Sleep is an event that rarely occurs the night before as our nerves won't let us rest. Lauryn and Jenna were still awake at 11:00! They tried counting sheep, counting leaves on trees, putting on sleep masks, turning on a fan, and who knows what else. Our morning getting ready went great until it was time to go out front to snap our yearly pictures. Jen promptly went to the front porch flower pots and waited for me so she could "get it over with". As soon as she was ready I turned my camera on and guess what? Yep...my battery was dead. Mom always tells me I need a back-up. I guess I should listen to her wise advice. I quickly had the girls get in the car and called mom on the way to town to see if one of her cameras were available. Phew...she saved the day. My mom not only has extra batteries but she has several memory cards and extra cameras. I grabbed the first one I could find, snapped a couple pics in mom and dad's front yard and dashed off to school. Nothing like adding a little stress to the morning of the first day of school.

The girls had a lot of fun shopping this year. Other than a few online purchases, we did all of our school shopping in one marathon day. It is so much fun having girls! They are slowly learning that sometimes when we pull into the garage we have to run in and hide some bags before Blake comes in. He sometimes just doesn't appreciate the value of a good shopping day!!
Jen and Lauryn's favorite back-to-school shopping spots: The Gap, Old Navy, Limited Too, Urban Outfitter, Aeropostale, American Eagle, Target, FootAction, Lady Footlocker,...
Jen started the 6th grade. I can't even believe that she is in middle school! It seems like just yesterday that she was starting 3rd grade at Heights. I was afraid that having me at school would totally embarrass her but I was happily surprised. She came up to me in the hall before school to give me a hug and tell me she loves me. She popped by with a friend between classes just to say hi. I am so lucky to have such a genuinely sweet daughter like Jenna! I'm still trying to figure out where she gets it?!

Lauryn made the big move up to Heights Elementary this year. She didn't even want anyone to take her. Usually Blake follows the bus from my school and walks her to class. They had back to school night last night so some of her fears were eased. She was able to find her room, meet her teacher (Mrs. Larson), and take all of her supplies. This morning she was tickled to be able to walk to Heights from the Middle School. There are a few of us middle school teachers that have Heights children so they will be able to walk together. (Except when it's really cold and Ellen lets them hop on the bus.:) Lauryn is always making us laugh. She totally has my dad's sense of humor. I am so excited for her to have another successful year at school!

6 comments:

Kari said...

I can't believe they are there either. Brady is way bummed that he doesn't "even have one class with Jenna". But he has Zoe and Ashley in some, so I told him that was just going to have to do!! He came home and said "this kid said Mrs. Essary was mean" "Lolli mean?" Brady asks. "I've been to her house, she is really nice." So then I had to clarify that he needed to call you Mrs. Essary, to which he replies "but I love her her name. It reminds me of lollipops, yum"!!!! Ya just gotta love him.

Lolli said...

That is so funny! I saw Brady for a brief minute before school this morning but I could tell he was focused on getting to his first period class. Once things settle down a bit I'm sure I'll see him more. Jen doesn't have class with any of her old cronies. It's kind of a goofy year for her. I guess she'll get to meet a lot of new classmates! Yes...someone thinks I'm mean! I can't quite figure it out though because no one was in trouble today and all we did was talk about policies and procedures. Maybe I just looked scary today?!

SunnyD said...

I don't even want to THINK about my kids in Middle School. Hopefully you will still be teaching there so I can have you spy on them for me. HA!

Your girls are such sweethearts. I hope my kids have half of the sweetness at that age!

Amy said...

It is amazing how fast the years go! I saw the girls with your dad in the "Mustang Mobile"(sp?) after school today. They stopped to chat before heading down the "parade route" of watchers. Both girls said school was going GREAT! You and I are very lucky to have kids who want to go to school each day...one less stresser in life. :)

Nana Juli said...

Lolli...the girls have grown so much this summer and my they are so pretty!!! Have a wonderful school year to all 3 of you.
Love Nana Juli

Lynn said...

Kampbell loves having Lauryn in his class (and sitting across from him) He was glad he knew someone on the first day! I think they are going to have a great year!!