Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have! Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have! Friends are like four-leaf clovers...hard to find and lucky to have!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Plants!

I absolutely love this time of year...and so do the plants! I just wish I was home a little more to enjoy them. See that overgrown garden way in the back? Well Blake and I planted a bazillion (a.k.a. 180) bulbs last spring from Costco. Our plan was to hide the tomato plants because they aren't the most lovely to look at. Well...when green "things" started popping through the dirt, we had a hard time figuring out what was a weed and what was a plant. I think we actually pulled up a lot of flowers that we thought were weeds. (Oops!) We had one plant that looked awesome but we couldn't remember planting that many of one type in a certain area. My grandma came out for a birthday party in May so we asked her if she could tell if it was a weed or a plant. Guess what she did?! She tasted it! Yep...she took a bite and determined that it was a weed. We weren't so sure about her "technique" so my uncle Bill took a sample to the experiement station had had a weed doctor friend verify that - yes, it is a weed. I went out this morning to pick some tomatoes and discovered that not only are the plants happy, but the weeds are having the time of their life. It couldn't be that we have ideal conditions for growing right now and Blake loves to water(too much). I took a few bowls out and here is what I brought back.
I guess I need to work on my photo skills because this doesn't look like much but I have enough tomatoes picked to supply a small country. I still have more on the vine but I sort of got tired of picking. I'm sure I'll get motivated again sometime soon;
Mornings this time of the year are the best. Everything outside just makes me smile. I went out front to peek at my flower pots. I'm trying to decide what I want to plant in them for fall. I'm sure Teresa will have some great idea for me. Last year when I went out to Yellow Rose to buy my fall plants, her ideas were much better than mine. She is amazing! Blake and I have really come to enjoy working in the yard with our plants. We owe a lot of that to Teresa and her excitement. We spent a lot of time with her when we started our landscaping and she was so helpful. It totally cracks me up that our last house had like three different plants alternated around it. This one...I can't even count.

4 comments:

Amy said...

It is sooo nice to see you back in the bloggin community! I was starting think you had given up on us all. I thought you might have some pretty funny stories to share after 4 days back with a bunch of crazy middle schoolers.?? :)

You are not kidding you have a lot of tomatoes. Looks like you will be making some great salsa.

Your pots still look great but your are right it is about that time to start thinking what to put in them for fall.

Sounds like you are having an enjoyable weekend. Hopefully see ya tomorrow in the usual spot for the parade!

Lynn said...

Oooooo yummy! Makes me want fresh pico de gallo (sp)!!!! Fresh off the vine tomatoes are the best.

Your flowers still look gorgeous Lolli, you and Blake both must have green thumbs! I think sometimes my thumb is black!! (or maybe the truth is, I get a littled burned out of watering all the plants by summers end and for some reason, they just start looking a little tired ;) Have a great rest of your long weekend!

Thompson Family said...

So I'm jealous (on everything but the tomatoes since I am so not a tomatoe fan, hehe)... I got crazy planting in the spring and then life takes over. I would love it if the flowers and green would take over but it never happens that way. Your yard is gorgeous!

Oh yea.. I am such a blog stalker :-)

SunnyD said...

Time to make Salsa...a looooot of salsa! That is a bunch-o-tomatoes man!